There are many ways we can review 2012 including;
- What is my bank balance?
- How many sales did I make?
- How many pupils passed exams?
- How much is my house worth compared to last year?
- How many members in church?
- How many chapters did I write?
- How close am I to achieving specified goals?
- How many miles have I run/cycled/cartwheeled?
- How close am I to my kids?
- What is the condition of my heart?
- How is my marriage?
- How are my friendships?
- How is my health and the health of those I care for?
- What memories/stories have I created for myself and those around me?
ALL of these reflections have genuine merit.
A few weeks ago I woke up repeating a phrase over and over in my head. The phrase was “1 Corinthians 2:11” When I finally gained consciousness proper I went to my Bible to find out what 1 Cor 2:11 actually says.
For who knows a person’s thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.
I wonder how God would review 2012. His love has not changed, His mercies have been new every morning. He is ever worthy of praise. His compassion is boundless, His loving kindness knows no limit.
In 2012 He has shared the hopes, dreams, failures and successes of everyone and has remained unchanged, not unmoved, not uncaring but always giving, always caring, always true. Just like 2011 and 1062 and the year His gave His Son to save me.
Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. 1 Cor 2:12
My prayer for 2013?
I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give [me] the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that [I] may know him better. Ephesians 1:17